Tuesday, July 5, 2011

One Elephant Went Out to Play!

I have been looking for the perfect way to make an "elephant prop" for the song "One Elephant Went Out to Play" for at least three years...probably more!  Today, I think I may have finally hit on the perfect prop for this song while cleaning out my prop/storage boxes!   


I have saved these three cute elephants I found among the bath toys at Walmart.  I also happened upon a set of the Velcro ball and catch game in one of my boxes!  My dog took off with the ball and it is probably in pieces as we speak on my living room floor!  I, on the other hand, began imagining the round surface of the ball catcher as the spiderweb!  Viola! 


I drew a spiderweb design on the round surface with a black Sharpie marker, attached Velcro to each of the elephants and stuck them to the surface!  The back of the ball catcher has a handle!  Perfect! 
Just sing the song, adding an elephant at the appropriate points and dropping the "spiderweb" at the end of the song when the spiderweb breaks...and you've got a great prop for the song!  Besides this, since the ball and catch game relies on heavy duty Velcro on the surface, the elephants store neatly attached to this until the next time you want to sing the song!  (I seriously think that was the quickest and easiest song prop I have ever made!  Even easier than the 5 Green and Speckled Frog prop!) 
Here's what the back of the catcher looks like. The Velcro strap is the handle.
Here's the song in case you don't know it!  (sung to 5 little ducks went out to play)

"One elephant, went out to play,
On a spider's web one day.
He had such...ENORMOUS fun, (draw arms out to sides in a big gesture!)
That he called for another elephant to come....
"OH, ELEPHANT!" (put hands up to mouth and all yell for the elephant!)

"Two elephants, went out to play,
On a spider's web one day.
They had such....ENORMOUS fun,
That they called for another elephant to come....
"OH, ELEPHANT!"

"Three elephants, went out to play,
On a spider's web one day.
They had such....ENORMOUS fun,
That the spider web broke...
and now my song is...done!"

1 comment:

  1. Great props! I made a prop to go along with the Spanish version of this song:

    http://apgacruz.blogspot.com/2010/06/los-elefantes-se-balanceban.html

    Of course, mine was made out of paper and is already in the trash! Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Grab the "How Long is this Hall" Button!

HowLongisthishall?!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts