Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shower Caps at the Sensory Table?!

I just finished reading Teacher Tom's post on "hair painting" and it reminded me of two children I had in my classroom!  Generally, the children in my classroom will occasionally go home with paint or sand in their hair.  But because we tend to have a few sensory challenges, many of the children don't explore these mediums as often or as intensely as some children will.

Some, though, LOVE to fully play in sand or paint EVERY nook and cranny of paper or a box!  I had a little girl in my room several years ago who absolutely LOVED sand in the sensory table!  She would explore sand longer than any other activity we introduced! 

Unfortunately, she also wore her hair in very tight braids, and her mom was NOT thrilled when she began coming home with sand in her hair every afternoon.  Well, we couldn't just ban her from the sensory table!  I also could see mom's point...this was not easy to remove from her hair without removing every single tiny braid! 

It took me a bit of brainstorming to figure out how to handle the situation.  But, eventually I hit on the idea of having her wear a shower cap while playing at the sensory table!  Wouldn't you know it, this little girl was perfectly fine with this solution!  She continued to enjoy exploring sand each and every day, and she didn't go home with sand in her hair!  (and she looked pretty darn cute with a different colored shower cap on each center time)

The second child LOVED painting!  She loved painting so much that she went home with purple, green, blue or red hair nearly every day!  This child's parents thought this was creative, wonderful and expressive!  Her mom would come in each afternoon and ask what color her hair was that day!  She knew that the paint would wash right out in the bath and was thrilled that her daughter was expressing her creativity!  (this child's hair was very light in color and the paint would come right out with simply water)

Two completely different parenting views...but each valid.  Of course, I encourage parents not to send children to preschool in their best clothes!  I warn them that their child WILL get messy.  I remind them that THIS is what preschool is for...to explore and learn through action!  Then there are times I have to remind myself that I can use all that energy to come up with a solution that will allow for all to be happy with the outcome.  The solutions that allow for the child to continue exploring are always going to win out in my book!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I love how you look for solutions rather than remove opportunities from the children! There is always a way! Great thinking out of the box! I bet that little girl looked so cute in that shower cap:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, very nice idea for allowing kids to express their creativity. Check out the Parrot I made using a Paper Toilet roll - http://blog.memetales.com/2011/03/parrot-kids-craft/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea - the use of a shower cap and funky ones at that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam,
    This is a very good solution!
    I now have a little girl who similarily loves the sand and gets it into her hair, and unfortunately the hair of others as well because she sometimes flings it into the air.
    However shower caps may help.
    She is likely autistic, and often becomes so involved in her sand play that she throws the sand, also she likes to dump it on the floor. I tried to give her a bucket to dump the sand into but then she will also dump the sand out of the bucket. I don't like removing her from something she enjoys so much, so as well of course I should put a tarp on the floor under the table, and maybe shower caps in cute colours for everyone at the table, might just be the answer!
    I had to read this link, as soon as it was displyed under your post!
    Thanks for the great idea!
    Pam, I really enjoy reading about the fine work you do, and that you always provide something positive to think about!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Grab the "How Long is this Hall" Button!

HowLongisthishall?!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts